Remembering TCPaul, 2016-2019

Weatherman Fired for Using Racial Slur

The vitriol is more robust than I would have expected. ht brokelawyer01/08/19
10% chance he's innocent, 90% chance he's used the term enou therewillbeblood01/08/19
Better safe than sorry anotherjd01/08/19
What did he say? imoothereforeim01/08/19
Did he really say coon or was he just not speaking clearly? fettywap01/08/19
Sound pretty darn clear that he said "Martin Luther Coon.. K batman01/08/19
That’s a firing. Sounds like something Uncle Ruckus would jorgedeclaro01/08/19
Nobody uses that word anymore. soiled_nappies01/08/19
Martin Luther Coon is a well known perjorative way to to ref jorgedeclaro01/08/19
Don't know about anyone else but if I say the word "coon" wh onefortheteam01/08/19
I don't care that they fired him or not, that's their busine wutwutwut01/08/19
Yes, it’s troubling that the government instructed a news brokelawyer01/08/19
Listened to the audio, to me it did sound like he's used the batman01/08/19
He immediately corrected himself. He should have immediately gladigotaphdinstead01/08/19
I guess this happens a lot https://deadline.com/2019/01/s whatnext01/26/19
brokelawyer (Jan 8, 2019 - 2:06 pm)

The vitriol is more robust than I would have expected.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/07/us/new-york-meteorologist-racial-slur/index.html

Reply
therewillbeblood (Jan 8, 2019 - 2:17 pm)

10% chance he's innocent, 90% chance he's used the term enough that it popped out.

Reply
anotherjd (Jan 8, 2019 - 2:18 pm)

Better safe than sorry

Reply
imoothereforeim (Jan 8, 2019 - 2:22 pm)

What did he say?

Reply
fettywap (Jan 8, 2019 - 3:08 pm)

Did he really say coon or was he just not speaking clearly? I need some audio.

Reply
batman (Jan 8, 2019 - 5:14 pm)

Sound pretty darn clear that he said "Martin Luther Coon.. King"

Reply
jorgedeclaro (Jan 8, 2019 - 3:26 pm)

That’s a firing. Sounds like something Uncle Ruckus would say.

Reply
soiled_nappies (Jan 8, 2019 - 3:40 pm)

Nobody uses that word anymore.

Reply
jorgedeclaro (Jan 8, 2019 - 4:19 pm)

Martin Luther Coon is a well known perjorative way to to refer to Martin Luther King.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smitherman

In his early political career in the 1960s he was in favor of segregation, and controversially referred to Martin Luther King Jr. as "Martin Luther Coon" in a 1965 televised interview.

Something I hadn’t realized is that ESPN host Mike Greenberg did this about a decade ago. Wish they had fired him to. Couldn’t stand Mike and Mike.
https://woldcnews.com/76631/espn-reporter-calls-mlk-martin-luther-coon/

Reply
onefortheteam (Jan 8, 2019 - 3:46 pm)

Don't know about anyone else but if I say the word "coon" while representing my company to the general public then I'm almost certain I'll lose my job. This guy was in front of cameras.

Reply
wutwutwut (Jan 8, 2019 - 5:07 pm)

I don't care that they fired him or not, that's their business. But is anyone bothered a little by the fact that the station didn't act until government officials (the mayor and city council) demanded his firing?

I recall CNN's legal analysts correctly called out the issue with Trump shooting his mouth off about who ought to be fired for what they speak, but the CNN article carrying this story doesn't reach that aspect.


Edit: Although the station manager claims the decision was made without regard to the demands of the mayor and city council.

Reply
brokelawyer (Jan 8, 2019 - 9:46 pm)

Yes, it’s troubling that the government instructed a news outlet to comply with speech requirements. But fighting hate is more important than constitutional rights. Or something like that.

Reply
batman (Jan 8, 2019 - 5:14 pm)

Listened to the audio, to me it did sound like he's used the term before, it came out kinda naturally.

Reply
gladigotaphdinstead (Jan 8, 2019 - 10:42 pm)

He immediately corrected himself. He should have immediately apologized but I don’t think this merits the sort of outrage or publicity it has garnered

Reply
whatnext (Jan 26, 2019 - 9:33 pm)

I guess this happens a lot

https://deadline.com/2019/01/st-louis-tv-station-ktvi-puts-newsman-on-leave-for-broadcast-racial-slur-1202542669/

Reply
Post a message in this thread